The back-to-school shopping season is in full swing. The National Retail Federation reports that shoppers will spend on average $688 for back-to-school supplies this year. This can be financially difficult for many families, but there are ways you can cut costs this year.
- Shop online for bulk items- If you have a larger family this may be the best way to save some money this year. Buying school supplies in bulk allows you to stock up on all the basics supplies like pens, pencils, notebooks, folders and more. You can check out local places like Sam’s Club and Costco for bulk purchases
- Student discounts from retailer-when buying big ticket items like laptops, readers, ipads check out the brand store first to see if they have an special discounts or rebates available for students
- Check out ebay-Another great option when shopping for big ticket items. Many times you can find authentic and brand new merchandise for significantly reduced price
- Outlet Malls-Back-to-school shopping means clothes, shoes, bags and accessories as well. Check out the sales and discounts at your local outlet malls. You’ll be surprised at the brand names you will find at up to 70% off the retail price.
- Back-to-school swap-This is the most unique idea I came across. For those on a tight budget, this might just be the way for you. Consider hosting a casual party a few weeks for school starts. Parents bring gently used clothing, extra supplies and other useful items that maybe a good fit for another child. It allows you to get a few things that you child may need and you can get a few extra things off your hands that your child no longer needs or uses.
With a tough economy it can be very difficult for many parents to get all the school supplies needed for their child. We hope these tips have been useful in preparing for your back-to-school shopping.
Penny Hanley & Howley Insurance
Protecting YOU is our Job