Connecticut Laws for Mopeds and Scooters

scooter insuranceAs the gas prices continue to raise more and more people are turning to an alternative forms of transportation.  Specifically mopeds and motor scooters.  They are less expensive to purchase and run, with the average gas mileage being 80 miles to the gallon.

But it’s import to know the rules and regulations that come with owning either a moped or motor scooter.  Here is some information we found from that will be helpful to you if you are looking to purchase either in the near future.

First, it’s important to understand the definitions in Connecticut for the following terms:

  • Moped: A “bicycle with helper motor” (also known as a moped or noped) includes all vehicles propelled by the person riding the same by foot, or by hand power, or a helper motor having a capacity of less than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement and not rated more than two brake horsepower and capable of a maximum speed of no more than thirty miles per hour and equipped with automatic transmission. The bicycle with helper motor is prohibited from operation on sidewalks under Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-286.
  • Motor scooter: Many motor scooters are motorcycles and would require a registration and motorcycle operator’s license to operate on the road. Some motor scooters fall under the definition of a “bicycle with helper motor” (moped) as found in Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-286. A “bicycle with a helper motor” would not be required to be registered, however, it would require that the operator have a valid driver’s license to operate on the road. The legal age to obtain a driver’s license in Connecticut is 16 years of age.In order for any scooter to be operated on the street it must have all the statutory equipment such as brakes, lights, horn and mirrors. Motorcycle class motor scooters are motor vehicles which are prohibited from sidewalks under the provisions of Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-250a.

Is a scooter driver’s license required? Yes, any 2-wheeled vehicle with at least a “helper motor” requires a driver’s license, but only those classified as motorcycles need a motorcycle endorsement in Connecticut.

Is there a limitation as to size of scooter and license? Yes, vehicles classified as motor-driven cycles need only a driver’s license, while larger vehicles (most scooters of 50cc or more) require a motorcycle endorsement + a driver’s license.

If a license is required, how do you get it? Do you need to take a written test? What about a skills test? Connecticut scooter licensing regs require you to take both a written test AND a driving skills test to qualify for a motorcycle endorsement.

Is there any requirement for a skills class? Yes, scooter drivers under the age of 18 must complete a novice motorcycle-training course approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. The Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Connecticut Rider Education Program meets these requirements, as do certain privately operated courses. For additional information concerning the Connecticut Rider Education Program, call 1-800-USA-RIDE (1-800-872-7433) or visit the Web site at Additional information concerning other approved courses can be obtained from the DMV Web site at

Does the scooter have to be registered? If your scooter has at least a 50cc engine size, it must be registered and display a license plate in Connecticut. Scooters with 49cc motors are actually considered mopeds and do not need to be registered, though you still need a driver’s license to operate them.

Is scooter insurance required? Yes, motorcycle/scooter insurance is required in Connecticut.

Is there a yearly inspection regulation? At this time, there is only a yearly emissions test required for 4-wheeled motor vehicles.

Source info:

Penny Hanley & Howley Insurance

Protecting YOU is our Job

2 thoughts on “Connecticut Laws for Mopeds and Scooters

  1. don george

    the ct moped laws changed in 2008
    you are now allowed up to 5 hp
    engine and can drive in the lane as long as your speed is under 30mph
    you must have a driver license
    and you do NOT need insurance

    1. phhinsurance Post author

      Thanks for the updated info.
      Here are the updates:
      Mopeds – A “motor-driven cycle” (also known as a moped) means any motorcycle, motor scooter or bicycle with an attached motor with a seat height of not less than 26 inches and a motor that produces five brake horsepower or less. A “motor driven cycle” would not be required to be registered, however, it would require that the operator have a valid driver’s license to operate on the road. If you are sixteen or seventeen years of age, you must wear a helmet while operating a moped. The motor driven cycle is prohibited from operation on sidewalks, limited-access highways and turnpikes under Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-286.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s