It’s finally Friday, which came quickly for most of us this week only being a 4 day work week after a long holiday weekend. We figured we do a little history for what happened over the years on this date.
- 1863 – American Civil War: Confederates evacuate Battery Wagner and Morris Island in South Carolina.
- 1888 – Charles Turner becomes the first bowler to take 250 wickets in an English season – a feat since accomplished only by Tom Richardson (twice), J.T. Hearne, Wilfred Rhodes (twice) and Tich Freeman (six times).
- 1937 – Spanish Civil War: The start of the Battle of El Mazuco.
- 1939 – World War II: South Africa declares war on Germany.
- 1955 – Istanbul Pogrom: Istanbul’s Greek and Armenian minority are the target of a government-sponsored pogrom.
- 1963 – The Centre for International Industrial Property Studies (CEIPI) is founded.
- 1970 – Two passenger jets bound from Europe to New York are simultaneously hijacked by Palestinian terrorist members of PFLP and taken to Dawson’s Field in Jordan.
- 1983 – The Soviet Union admits to shooting down Korean Air Flight KAL-007, stating that the pilots did not know it was a civilian aircraft when it violated Soviet airspace.
- 2009 – The ro-ro ferry SuperFerry 9 sinks off the Zamboanga Peninsula in the Philippines with 971 persons aboard; all but ten are rescued.
Who was born on September 6?
- 1908 – Korczak Ziółkowski, American designer and sculptor of the Crazy Horse Memorial (d. 1982)
- 1942 – Richard Anthony Hutton, England cricketer
- 1943 – Richard J. Roberts, English biochemist and molecular biologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- 1954 – Demetris Kizas, Greek-Cypriot footballer
- 1957 – Michaëlle Jean, 27th Governor-General of Canada
- 1967 – Macy Gray, American singer-songwriter
- 1972 – Anika Noni Rose, American actress and singer
- 1972 – Justina Machado, Puerto Rican actress
- 1978 – Cisco Adler, American singer
- 1980 – Kerry Katona, British singer and media personality
We hope you have a great weekend. Look for our blog next Monday.
Penny Hanley & Howley Insurance
Protecting YOU is our Job
Source info: http://www.dayinhistory.net/