Many of us are turning to our backyards as a “staycation” versus traveling too far. We’ve turned our backyard’s into an oasis that can be a lot of fun for the whole family. You also want to make sure that the backyard stays fun and free of danger. Here are some tips to keep that backyard safe.
Many of us have pools in our backyards. It is a great way to get some relief from the hot sunny weather. But as you know there are many safety hazards of owning a pool. Consider these tips to keep your pool safe for your family and friends:
- Install self-closing and self-latching gates
- Equip your door or gate with an alarm
- Make sure no one swims alone
- Have life-saving equipment nearby
One of my favorites for sure is the grill and for many theirs too. As soon as the weather breaks many of us are out on our decks or in our backyards firing up that grill. But there are safety hazardous with grilling as well. According to the National Fire Protection Association, gas grills have been involved in an average of 7,100 homes fires per year since 2006. Here are a few precautions you can take to keep safe while grilling:
- Keep grills on level surface and away from your home or garage
- Wear a heavy apron and use long-armed oven mitts
- Remember that grills remain hot long after you are done cooking
We all enjoy a warm summer evening around a campfire roasting a few marshmallows. But you need to be cautious when having a campfire in your backyard.
- Place the fire pit in a safe spot away from your home
- Always make sure there are adults to supervise the campfire
- Never leave a campfire unattended
- Use sand to fully extinguish the fire
Play sets are enjoyed by children of all ages, but you need to make sure that they are safe as well. Worn and weathered wood can be a danger to children.
- Always supervise children
- Do a regular check on the safety of the play set including checking for loose or rusty bolts or rotting wood
- Make sure play sets are secured on a level ground and use soft materials to help cushion falls and prevent injuries
These are just a few safety tips that can help keep your back yard safe and still be a great retreat for the whole family to have fun.
Penny Hanley & Howley Insurance
Protecting YOU is our Job