It’s early in the season, and we haven’t hit the height of the summer heat yet, but it’s coming. We look forward to the summer season, but sometimes forget that we also need to make sure we take care of ourselves and homes during this weather. Here are some great tips to keep yourself and your home cool from the summer heat.
- Be sure to keep sunblock handy and apply regularly
- Wearing a hat can help avoid sunburn and heatstroke
- Keep bottled water on you at all times when you are planning extended outdoor activities
- Avoid midday sun, usually from noon to 2pm
- Wear cotton fabric and light colors to keep you cool in the heat
- Babies under 9 months should be kept out of direct sunlight
- During hot summer days, head to your nearest lake or pond to take a dip and cool down
For Your Home:
- Keep shades drawn during the day to keep out the heat
- Open windows in the evening to allow cooler air in
- Avoid using your stove/oven during the summer months. Cook outside, it always taste better on the grill anyway.
- Make sure your ceiling fans are running counter clockwise to circulate cooler air
- Insulate your windows to keep warm air out and cool air from escaping
Summer is a great time of year that we all look forward to, just remember to follow these tips to stay safe and cool during the heat of the summer. Enjoy! Happy Summer!
Penny Hanley & Howley Insurance
Protecting YOU is our Job