Category Archives: Other Vehicle

Golf Cart use and laws in Connecticut

golf cart insurance

Recently we were asked what the current laws were in relation to Golf Cart use on the road in Connecticut.  So we did a little digging and found the information regarding this new change as of 2009.

The General Assembly in 2009, passed new legislation authorizing towns to allow golf carts on local streets, with certain restrictions.

Under the new legislation, local traffic authorities will enforce regulations for the golf carts on roads with a speed limit of 25 mph or lower.

In addition, the carts cannot be driven at night and operators must have a driver’s license.

According to officials, the penalty for violating these regulations is $35 under state law, but that could increase in the future.  Cart drivers must also obey the normal traffic regulations that apply to any motor vehicle.

Liability Insurance is needed for all golf carts that are ridden on the road and off your personal property.  In most cases your homeowners insurance will cover your golf cart if it is being used for maintenance of your property.

Here is the actual language of the legislation that was passed.

Sec. 27. (NEW) (Effective from passage) (a) The traffic authority of any

city, town or borough is authorized to permit the operation of golf

carts, during daylight hours only, on any street or highway within the

limits of, and under the jurisdiction of, such traffic authority, provided:

(1) Each such golf cart shall be equipped with an operable horn in

accordance with the requirements of subsection (e) of section 14-80 of

the general statutes; (2) each such golf cart shall be equipped with a

flag that is positioned to assist operators of motor vehicles in observing

the location and operation of such golf cart; (3) no such authorization

shall be granted for operation on any street or highway the posted

speed limit of which is more than twenty-five miles per hour; and (4)

the operator of any such golf cart shall carry a valid Connecticut motor

vehicle operator’s license while operating such golf cart. Any person

who operates a golf cart in violation of any provision of this

subsection, any insurance requirement established in accordance with

subsection (b) of this section, or any other conditions or limitations

established by the traffic authority for the operation of golf carts shall

have committed an infraction.

(b) The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may establish, by

regulations adopted in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54 of

the general statutes, insurance requirements for the operation of golf

carts in accordance with subsection (a) of this section.


The act authorizes any local traffic authority to permit the operation of golf carts, during daylight hours, on any road under its jurisdiction. A golf cart must be equipped with an operable horn meeting the requirements of state law and a flag positioned to assist other drivers to see it. The traffic authority must limit cart operation to roads with a posted speed limit of 25 miles per hour or less. The operator must carry a valid Connecticut driver’s license when operating a cart. Violations of these requirements are infractions.

The act authorizes the DMV commissioner to establish insurance requirements for golf carts by regulation.

EFFECTIVE DATE: Upon passage

So remember to contact Penny Hanley & Howley for all your off-road vehicle insurance needs.

Protecting YOU is our Job

Connecticut Laws for Mopeds and Scooters

scooter insuranceAs the gas prices continue to raise more and more people are turning to an alternative forms of transportation.  Specifically mopeds and motor scooters.  They are less expensive to purchase and run, with the average gas mileage being 80 miles to the gallon.

But it’s import to know the rules and regulations that come with owning either a moped or motor scooter.  Here is some information we found from that will be helpful to you if you are looking to purchase either in the near future.

First, it’s important to understand the definitions in Connecticut for the following terms:

  • Moped: A “bicycle with helper motor” (also known as a moped or noped) includes all vehicles propelled by the person riding the same by foot, or by hand power, or a helper motor having a capacity of less than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement and not rated more than two brake horsepower and capable of a maximum speed of no more than thirty miles per hour and equipped with automatic transmission. The bicycle with helper motor is prohibited from operation on sidewalks under Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-286.
  • Motor scooter: Many motor scooters are motorcycles and would require a registration and motorcycle operator’s license to operate on the road. Some motor scooters fall under the definition of a “bicycle with helper motor” (moped) as found in Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-286. A “bicycle with a helper motor” would not be required to be registered, however, it would require that the operator have a valid driver’s license to operate on the road. The legal age to obtain a driver’s license in Connecticut is 16 years of age.In order for any scooter to be operated on the street it must have all the statutory equipment such as brakes, lights, horn and mirrors. Motorcycle class motor scooters are motor vehicles which are prohibited from sidewalks under the provisions of Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-250a.

Is a scooter driver’s license required? Yes, any 2-wheeled vehicle with at least a “helper motor” requires a driver’s license, but only those classified as motorcycles need a motorcycle endorsement in Connecticut.

Is there a limitation as to size of scooter and license? Yes, vehicles classified as motor-driven cycles need only a driver’s license, while larger vehicles (most scooters of 50cc or more) require a motorcycle endorsement + a driver’s license.

If a license is required, how do you get it? Do you need to take a written test? What about a skills test? Connecticut scooter licensing regs require you to take both a written test AND a driving skills test to qualify for a motorcycle endorsement.

Is there any requirement for a skills class? Yes, scooter drivers under the age of 18 must complete a novice motorcycle-training course approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. The Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Connecticut Rider Education Program meets these requirements, as do certain privately operated courses. For additional information concerning the Connecticut Rider Education Program, call 1-800-USA-RIDE (1-800-872-7433) or visit the Web site at Additional information concerning other approved courses can be obtained from the DMV Web site at

Does the scooter have to be registered? If your scooter has at least a 50cc engine size, it must be registered and display a license plate in Connecticut. Scooters with 49cc motors are actually considered mopeds and do not need to be registered, though you still need a driver’s license to operate them.

Is scooter insurance required? Yes, motorcycle/scooter insurance is required in Connecticut.

Is there a yearly inspection regulation? At this time, there is only a yearly emissions test required for 4-wheeled motor vehicles.

Source info:

Penny Hanley & Howley Insurance

Protecting YOU is our Job